WHY CHOOSE A PIRATE CLASSROOM THEME
A pirate classroom theme incorporates bold colors like red, black and white. Teachers love this theme because students love it (both lower and upper elementary) and it’s simple to put together on a budget. There are tons of DIY ideas out there for this adventure-packed theme.
BULLETIN BOARD IDEAS
BULLETIN BOARD BACKGROUNDS
Crumple brown paper grocery bags and staple them to your bulletin boards as background paper that resembles treasure maps. This option is free and looks great! Another option is to use sandpaper (which is available in big sheets). If you prefer to keep it simple and use solid color fabric or butcher paper for your bulletin board backgrounds, we recommend going with the colors brown, black, navy blue or red.
BULLETIN BOARD TRIM
- costume plastic gems hot glued to solid color borders
- gold coins hot glued to charts, posters and bulletin board trims
- red and white stripes
- blue cellophane
BULLETIN BOARD TITLES
- Create a welcome board that reads, “Ahoy Mateys! Welcome Aboard __ Grade!”
- Make a board to display student work titled, “Work We Treasure.”
- Title your student job board as “All Hands on Deck.”
- Create a welcome board that reads, ”Welcome to Argh Crew!”
- When creating your own titles, use words like argh, ahoy, or matey.
OTHER IDEAS FOR A PIRATES CLASSROOM THEME
- Take photos of your students wearing pirate hats and eye patches. Use those pictures to label cubbies/lockers or as a great display that can be left up all year.
- Name your guided reading teams or reading groups after famous pirates (i.e. Bluebeards, Sparrows, Hooks, Blackbeards).
- Create an attention getter that relates to the theme. For example, you could say “Ahoy Mateys” and they could respond “Ay! Ay! Captain!”
- Use netting around the classroom to tie in the theme.
- Set up a display of books that relate to the theme by standing them on a counter or shelf.
Did you know you can get unlimited access to ALL our decor bundles?
WE SUGGEST YOU PAIR THIS THEME WITH OUR…
- tropical classroom theme decor
- nautical classroom theme decor
- red, brown, black and white color scheme decor bundles
CHECK OUT THESE UPDATES:
- We used all new clipart (including much more diverse characters).
- We made the entire bundle 100% editable so not only can you customize it with your students’ names and details specific to your classroom, you can now translate EVERYTHING into other languages too. This has long been a request from teachers of ELLs and immersion classrooms.
- We added resources for online teaching and distance learning so you can create a classroom community feel even when teaching remotely.
- We created online teaching backdrops and items to create your own background if teaching at home.
BEST OF ALL…the original version AND the newly updated version are included in both the Elementary Classroom Decor All Access Collection and if you purchase this theme on its own in our teacher store.