Many of your elementary students likely have seen the classic movie making a Wizard of Oz classroom theme a great choice. It’s a film filled with entertaining characters, vibrant settings, and an engaging plot. There are so many fun elements that you can bring into your classroom to create a cohesive and interesting learning environment. Elementary teachers love this classroom theme because they enjoyed the film as a child and are happy to share it with their students. In addition, they love the colorful elements they can add to their classroom to create a cohesive and customized look. This theme is appropriate for both lower and upper elementary students. Learn more about a Wizard of Oz classroom theme below and scoop up this Wizard of Oz classroom theme packet!
Wizard of Oz Theme Bulletin Board Ideas
Below are some Wizard of Oz theme bulletin board ideas for elementary teachers.
Wizard of Oz Bulletin Board Backgrounds
Consider using yellow butcher paper to create a yellow brick road bulletin board background. Another idea is to use blue gingham fabric as a background. If you prefer to keep it simple and use solid color fabric or butcher paper for your bulletin board backgrounds, we recommend going with the colors red, yellow, and blue.
Wizard of Oz Bulletin Board Trim
In addition to traditional border, put these items around the perimeter of your board.
- add red glitter to plain red bulletin board trim to create border that looks like ruby red slippers.
- sponge print to make a yellow brick rove
- green sparkles to represent emerald city
- foil to represent the tin man
- straw to represent the scarecrow
Get these Wizard of Oz classroom decor printables!
Wizard of Oz Bulletin Board Title Ideas
- Create a welcome board reading, “There’s No Place Like __ Grade.”
- Make posters with quotes from the book and movie.
- Refer to your Guided Math Teams or Reading Groups as “lions, tigers and bears.”
- Title a welcome board “Welcome to an Oz-mazing Year!”
- When creating your own titles, use words like road, witch, or oz.
Did you know you can get unlimited access to ALL our decor bundles?
5 Ideas for a Wizard of Oz Themed Classroom
- Place student pencils on tables in oil cans.
- Accent the room with lots of rainbow decor.
- Take photos of your students wearing a tan vest and safari hat. Use the photos as a display or as labels in the classroom.
- Post photos from the movie around the classroom
- Use a magic wand when teaching
Themes to Pair Your Wizard of Oz Theme With
Get access to all of the Clutter-Free Classroom decor themes and color schemes in the Elementary Classroom Decor Collection, including the ones listed below that pair really nicely with a Wizard of Oz theme.
- rainbow classroom theme decor
- hollywood classroom theme decor
- red, yellow and blue color scheme decor bundles
Wizard of Oz Themed Classroom Pictures
The Wizard of Oz classroom theme bundle includes BOTH the original version (shown below) and the newly updated version (shown above). In the newer version, we used all new clipart which includes much more diverse characters. Also, we made the entire bundle 100% editable so not only can you customize it with your students’ names and details specific to your classroom, you can now translate EVERYTHING into other languages too. This has long been a request from teachers of ELLs and immersion classrooms. Both versions are available in the Elementary Classroom Decor Collection.
In closing, we hope you found these Wizard of Oz classroom theme ideas helpful! If you did, then you may also be interested in the free Wizard of Oz planning organizer below as well as these classroom decorating posts:
- How to Decorate the Classroom of Your Dreams
- 60+ Themes for Classrooms at the Elementary Level
- Colorful Classroom Decor Ideas for Elementary Teachers