A travel classroom theme helps you create an adventure-filled learning environment where your students feel like world travelers whenever they enter! Teachers love this theme because it helps create a classroom that can be described as calm and neutral. They also love it because they have the flexibility to take the theme where they want it to go. For example, they can create a simple modern space or a cool vintage environment depending on what color elements and DIY decor ideas they pull in. This theme works well for both lower and upper elementary classroom decor. Learn more about a travel classroom theme below and scoop up this travel classroom theme packet!
Travel Theme Bulletin Board Ideas
Below are some travel theme bulletin board ideas for elementary teachers.
Travel Bulletin Board Backgrounds
Navy blue, brown, or black butcher paper can be used as a bulletin board background. You can use a large map or several smaller maps for a background. If you choose to use fabric as your bulletin board background, simple colors like black, brown, and navy provide a nice backdrop.
Travel Bulletin Board Trim
In addition to traditional border, put these items around the perimeter of your board.
- boarding passes
- little plastic compasses
Get these travel classroom decor printables!
Travel Bulletin Board Title Ideas
- “(Grade) is Going to Be an Amazing Journey!”
- “Oh the Places You’ll Go”
- “Hard Work Will Take You Around the World”
- “Now Boarding”
- When creating your own titles, use words like passport, journey, adventure, or aboard.
Did you know you can get unlimited access to ALL our decor bundles?
7 Ideas for a Travel Themed Classroom
- Use old suitcases or travel trunks as storage in your room.
- Collect travel brochures and add them to your class library.
- Ask friends and family for globes to use as decor throughout the classroom.
- Hang inflatable globes from the ceiling.
- Incorporate flags from around the world into your theme.
- Dedicate a large space to a map of the world. Title it, “Reading Can Take You Anywhere” and use it to mark locations that are settings in books that you and your students read throughout the year.
- Set up a display of books that relate to the theme by standing them on a counter or shelf.
Themes to Pair Your Travel Theme With
Get access to all of the Clutter-Free Classroom decor themes and color schemes in the Elementary Classroom Decor Collection, including the ones listed below that pair really nicely with a travel theme.
- mountain classroom theme decor
- around the world classroom theme decor
- green, blue and brown color scheme decor bundles
Travel Themed Classroom Pictures
The travel classroom theme bundle includes BOTH the original version (shown below) and the newly updated version (shown above). In the newer version, we used all new clipart which includes much more diverse characters. Also, we made the entire bundle 100% editable so not only can you customize it with your students’ names and details specific to your classroom, you can now translate EVERYTHING into other languages too. This has long been a request from teachers of ELLs and immersion classrooms. Both versions are available in the Elementary Classroom Decor Collection.
In closing, we hope you found these travel classroom theme ideas helpful! If you did, then you may also be interested in the free travel planning organizer below as well as these classroom decorating posts:
- How to Decorate the Classroom of Your Dreams
- 60+ Themes for Classrooms at the Elementary Level
- Colorful Classroom Decor Ideas for Elementary Teachers