WHY CHOOSE AN AROUND THE WORLD CLASSROOM THEME
An Around the World Classroom theme lets you integrate geography and culture into your learning environment. First, it promotes a sense of adventure and is a reminder that there is so much out there to explore. Another favorite reason for choosing the Around the World classroom theme is that it really lends itself to setting the stage for charting all of the amazing places books can take you and your students to.
Additionally, it promotes diversity and an appreciation for cultural differences.
Teachers love this theme because it is so flexible. You can use it to create a calm and natural feel to the classroom or you can choose to make your space bright and colorful.
While the Around the World Classroom theme is appropriate for all grade levels, it is an especially good choice as upper elementary classroom decor.
BULLETIN BOARD IDEAS FOR AN AROUND THE WORLD CLASSROOM THEME
BULLETIN BOARD BACKGROUNDS
Paper maps make the perfect bulletin board background for an Around the World classroom theme. You can focus on the earthy elements of travel and use a water print paper. If you choose to use fabric as your bulletin board background, neutral earth tones like green, blue and brown provide a nice backdrop.
BULLETIN BOARD TRIM
- passport covers
- travel brochures
- flags from different countries
- images of book covers set all around the world
- print out how to say “hello” in other languages on colored paper
BULLETIN BOARD TITLES
- Use the phrase, “Now Boarding” for a welcome back bulletin board or as a title for door decor.
- Title your classroom calendar with “Every Day is an Adventure.”
- Take headshots of your students or have them draw self-portraits and title the board “Passport Photos”
- The Future of the World is in Our Classroom
- When creating your own titles use words like adventure, explore, journey or travel.
OTHER IDEAS FOR AN AROUND THE WORLD CLASSROOM THEME
- Display clocks set to the time in different parts of the world.
- Place a collection of globes around the classroom.
- Use open suitcases to display books.
- Hang inflatable globes or paper airplanes from the ceiling.
- Decorate different sections of your classroom to represent different continents or countries.