Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Tidy will love this post. It includes tons of helpful information for teachers like the book summary, what it’s good for teaching, and more. In addition, it includes resource recommendations that will help you plan your next interactive read aloud.
With themes of environmental awareness, taking ownership and expectations, this Tidy picture book by Emily Gravett is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will quickly become one of your favorite fall books for kids!
Engage Your Students with Tidy Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Tidy. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Tidy reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
This story is about a badger named Pete. He lives deep in the forest. Pete likes everything to be organized and clean. He tidies the flowers, grooms the animals, and bathes the birds.
Once fall comes, Pete tries his best to keep the forest floor clean. Despite the effect he has on others, he cleans the forest to a point where there is nothing left! He bags the leaves, takes down the trees, and even pours concrete over the land.
This helps Pete come to the realization that maybe everything cannot be tidy and clean. He has to release some control in order to maintain happiness across the forest.
TIDY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Tidy, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Tidy reading comprehension questions focus on:
- plot: problem and solution
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- environmental awareness
- taking ownership
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- verb tense
- quotation marks
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Tidy?
- Lexile® Measure: AD590L
- Guided Reading Level: O
- DRA Level: 30
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Emily Gravett.
What genre is Tidy?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.