Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Tacky and the Winter Games will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the children’s book.
With themes of teamwork and individuality, this Tacky and the Winter Games picture book by Helen Lester is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It is sure to be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Tacky and the Winter Games Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Tacky and the Winter Games.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Tacky and the Winter Games reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
TACKY AND THE WINTER GAMES SUMMARY
It was the time of year where penguins got ready for the Winter Games. From far and wide, teams trained and came to this special event. Tacky’s home team of Team Icy Nice Land trained for each event with no avail. When it was finally time for the games, it seemed that Tacky continuously ruined each event!
That is, until the Relay Race. Each member passed the baton, and when it was time for Tacky’s turn, he ate the baton to make it faster. With this, the team finally got a medal. Although Tacky is an odd bird, the team celebrated the victory.
TACKY AND THE WINTER GAMES LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Tacky and the Winter Games, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Tacky and the Winter Games reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
TACKY AND THE WINTER GAMES ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Tacky and the Winter Games?
- Lexile® Measure: 460
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.5 – 2.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Helen Lester. It was illustrated by Lynn Munsinger.
What genre is Tacky and the Winter Games?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.