Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Roller Coaster will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of feelings and perseverance, this Roller Coaster picture book by Marla Frazee is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Roller Coaster Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Roller Coaster. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Rollercoaster reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
ROLLER COASTER SUMMARY
Roller Coaster, by Marla Frazee is about the thrilling experience of riding a roller coaster for the very first time. The story follows a group of people, one of whom has never ridden a roller coaster before, and describes what they see, hear, and feel as they clickity-clack, whoosh, and zoom on this exciting ride! The descriptive language and vivid Illustrations in the story will make you feel like you are riding the roller coaster for the first time, too!
ROLLER COASTER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Roller Coaster, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Roller Coaster reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- analyzing setting
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- types of print
ROLLER COASTER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Roller Coaster?
- Lexile® Measure: AD490L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.8
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Marla Frazee.
What genre is Roller Coaster?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.