Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Roxaboxen will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With a theme of community, this Roxaboxen picture book by Alice McLerren is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Roxaboxen Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Roxaboxen. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Roxaboxen reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
Roxaboxen had always been there, but the children in this book made it into a special place. It started out as an empty part of the desert with old boxes, rocks and cacti. The children that came to play in Roxaboxen turned it into a town. They used rocks to line the streets and build houses. There was plenty of money because they used pebbles for money. The children could buy whatever they wanted like ice cream, cars and horses.
This imaginative and heart-warming story tells the memories of the real children that grew up and played in this make believe community. Even as adults, they look back at Roxaboxen fondly making it an important part of their childhood.
ROXABOXEN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Roxaboxen, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Roxaboxen reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- comparing and contrasting
- cause and effect
- analyzing setting
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- proper nouns
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Roxaboxen?
- Lexile® Measure: AD710L
- Guided Reading Level: Q
- DRA Level: 38
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.1 – 4.3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Alice McLerren. It was illustrated by Barbara Cooney.
What genre is Roxaboxen?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.