Calling all elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter! You will find this post very helpful. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have what you need to plan and deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons.
This Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter picture book by Kenard Pak has a transitions theme. It is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will become one of your favorite children’s’ books about winter! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the free teaching ideas for this book below! There are recommendations for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
GOODBYE AUTUMN, HELLO WINTER SUMMARY
There are many changes that take place when autumn turns into winter. Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter beautifully illustrates the changes that take place in the weather, animals and the environment as the season changes.
For example, the book explains that animals start to grow thicker coats and stock up on food. Trees lose their leaves and we see different flowers and plants. The weather even changes as the days grow darker and colder. As winter gets closer, we might see frost for the first time before we eventually see snow!
Readers love learning about all of the changes that take place as autumn turns into winter. It helps them better understand the world around them!
GOODBYE AUTUMN, HELLO WINTER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter reading comprehension questions focus on:
- summarize / retell
- analyzing setting
- analyzing illustrations
- figurative language
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- plural nouns
GOODBYE AUTUMN, HELLO WINTER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter?
- Lexile® Measure: AD560L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3 – 3.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Kenard Pak.
What genre is Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.