Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Cobweb Christmas will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of honesty and perseverance, this Cobweb Christmas picture book by Shirley Climo is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Cobweb Christmas Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Cobweb Christmas. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Cobweb Christmas reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
COBWEB CHRISTMAS SUMMARY
Cobweb Christmas is a German folktale that explains why people decorate their Christmas tree with Tinsel. It tells the story of an old woman fondly called Tante, by those in her village.
Each year, Tante gets her home ready for Christmas by cleaning and going out to get a Christmas tree. Tante would make her own decorations for the tree, covering it in treats for the animals. Once everything was ready, she would share her tree with the children and animals.
When Tante finally fell asleep, Christkindel was off delivering presents. He saw hundreds of spiders outside Tante’s house, hoping to view the tree. Christkindel let them in and discovered they’d woven webs all over the tree. Not wanting to upset Tante, he turned the webs into tinsel.
Tante was awoke to the marvelous tree and continued to decorate her tree that way year after year.
COBWEB CHRISTMAS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Cobweb Christmas, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Cobweb Christmas reading comprehension questions focus on:
- summarizing and retelling
- analyzing setting
- analyzing character
- identifying genre
- author’s purpose
- identifying theme, message or moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
COBWEB CHRISTMAS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Cobweb Christmas?
- Lexile® Measure: 750-775
- Guided Reading Level: R-S
- DRA Level: 40-42
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Shirley Climo. It was illustrated by Jane Manning.
What genre is Cobweb Christmas?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.