Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Bunheads will love this post.
With a theme of self-esteem, this Bunheads picture book by Misty Copeland is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will quickly become one of your and your students’ favorite read alouds too!
Engage Your Students with Bunheads Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Bunheads.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Bunheads reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
It is Misty’s first day of ballet class and the dancers learn they will be performing Coppelia. All of the other dancers are excited but Misty has never heard of it. Too shy to ask, Misty sits down to listen to Miss Bradley tell the story. She immediately falls in love with the story of a doll that comes to life. After listening to the story, the dancers start to practice.
Miss Bradley notices Misty and calls her to the front of the room. She is surprised to hear that Misty had never taken a ballet class before. Miss Bradley tells Misty she is very talented. Misty and another dancer, Cat, start practicing together. They inspire one another and the two girls become better dancers together. Both girls are excited when they are both chosen to play a main part. Misty is so excited for the big performance and feels ready. At the end of the show, she is so proud of all she and the other dancers accomplished together
BUNHEADS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Bunheads, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Bunheads reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making predictions
- analyzing character
- making connections
- author’s purpose
- identifying theme | message | moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- multiple meaning words
- time order words
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels of Bunheads?
- Lexile® Measure: 750
- Guided Reading Level: R
- DRA Level: 40
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Misty Copeland. It was illustrated by Setor Fiadzigbey.
What genre is Bunheads?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.