Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Carmela Full of Wishes will love this post. It includes the book’s summary, teaching ideas, and resource recommendations to use with your students.
With themes of family and compassion, this Carmela Full of Wishes picture book by Matt de la Peña is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your elementary students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Carmela Full of Wishes Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Carmela Full of Wishes.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Carmela Full of Wishes reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
CARMELA FULL OF WISHES SUMMARY
It is Carmela’s birthday–finally! She scooters past the workers in the field. She knows why today is extra special!
Carmela is old enough to now do errands with her brother. They go to the laundromat, the vegetable stand, and the locksmith shop. All along, Carmela is daydreaming about her family.
Her brother teaches her that she can make a wish when she finds a dandelion. She holds this special weed close until she falls off of her scooter. Feeling sad and frustrated, Carmela’s brother brings her up to a special place. Can you guess what the field was filled with?
CARMELA FULL OF WISHES LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Carmela Full of Wishes, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Carmela Full of Wishes reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation marks
CARMELA FULL OF WISHES ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Carmela Full of Wishes?
- Lexile® Measure: 630L
- Guided Reading Level: O
- DRA Level: 34
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Matt de la Peña. It was illustrated by Christian Robinson.
What genre is Carmela Full of Wishes?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.