Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Snow Dancer will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book
With themes of stress management and compassion, this The Snow Dancer picture book by Addie Boswell is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will become one of your favorite winter books that you pull out year after year!
Engage Your Students with The Snow Dancer Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Snow Dancer.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Snow Dancer reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE SNOW DANCER SUMMARY
This rhythmic tale describes a little girl’s adventure on a snow day. Sofia enjoys the peace and quiet of the silent snow in an empty park. That is, until others come and make a mess with sliding, screaming, and skating. With the help of a new friend, Sofia shows how you can show beauty in the snow.
THE SNOW DANCER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Snow Dancer, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Snow Dancer reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- managing stress
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
THE SNOW DANCER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Snow Dancer?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Addie Boswell. It was illustrated by Mercè López.
What genre is The Snow Dancer?
It is a fiction book. You may want to check out our genre activities or read our blog post, How to Teach Genre to Elementary Students.
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.