Educators looking for lesson plans and activities for The Scarecrows’ Wedding will love this post. It includes resource recommendations for teachers, information about the book, and teaching ideas.
With themes of perseverance and advocation, this The Scarecrows’ Wedding picture book by Julia Donaldson is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. This will become one of the fall books for kids you use year after year! Your students will love it!
Engage Your Students with The Scarecrows’ Wedding Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Scarecrows’ Wedding. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Scarecrows’ Wedding reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE SCARECROWS' WEDDING SUMMARY
Betty and Harry are two scarecrows in love. They want to get married. They go around the farm and ask for various items off their list and invite guests.
When Harry goes off to find flowers, a new scarecrow comes into town. He is dashing. He is daring. As he tries to impress Betty, he sets the field on fire!
Harry quickly returns. He uses the water from the vase of flowers he picked to save Betty’s life. In the end, the couple gets married amongst their friends.
THE SCARECROWS’ WEDDING LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Scarecrows’ Wedding, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Scarecrows’ Wedding reading comprehension questions focus on:
- rhyme, rhythm, repetition
- ask and answer questions
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation marks
THE SCARECROWS’ WEDDING ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Scarecrows’ Wedding?
- Lexile® Measure: 600-625
- Guided Reading Level: N-O
- DRA Level: 30-34
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.4
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Julia Donaldson. It was illustrated by Axel Scheffler.
What genre is The Scarecrows’ Wedding?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.