Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Perfect Birthday Recipe will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With themes of friendship and feelings, this The Perfect Birthday Recipe picture book by Katy Hudson is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Perfect Birthday Recipe Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Perfect Birthday Recipe.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Perfect Birthday Recipe reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE PERFECT BIRTHDAY RECIPE SUMMARY
Beaver is quite the perfectionist. He likes things to be just so- planned thoughtfully and done carefully. As his birthday is coming up, he plans the most perfect birthday cake for himself, topped with his family’s special ingredient. His friends are quick to help, as his plan will take lots of time. But, Tortoise works too slow, Bird adds odd ingredients, and Rabbit adds too many carrots. Beaver has had enough and tells everyone to go.
After he finishes his cake making, he sits to celebrate and realizes how lonely it is without his friends. Did his nitpicky ways ruin his birthday, and his friendships? He begins to cry, when his friends come to comfort him. They will celebrate the next day, in the wonkiest ways! Having his friends around is what makes Beaver’s birthday the best ever.
THE PERFECT BIRTHDAY RECIPE LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Perfect Birthday Recipe, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Perfect Birthday Recipe reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyze character
- analyze illustration
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation mark
THE PERFECT BIRTHDAY RECIPE ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Perfect Birthday Recipe?
- Lexile® Measure: 0480
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Katy Hudson.
What genre is The Perfect Birthday Recipe?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.