Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Missing Mitten Mystery will love this post. It includes resource recommendations and information about the book. It will save you tons of time planning your next interactive read aloud lesson! What’s better than that?
With themes of taking ownership and perseverance, this The Missing Mitten Mystery picture book by Steven Kellogg is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will become one of your favorite children’s books about winter. Your students are sure to love it too!
Engage Your Students with The Missing Mitten Mystery Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Missing Mitten Mystery. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Missing Mitten Mystery reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE MISSING MITTEN MYSTERY SUMMARY
Annie and her dog Osca, had a fun day. They played in the snow. At some point that day, Annie’s red mitten went missing! They retraced their steps. They looked through snow piles, gardens, and sledding hills. Annie started to think creatively. What if a mouse took it for a home? What if an eagle took it to her nest? She returns home for dinner. At the end, her red mitten appears! It was on the snowman.
THE MISSING MITTEN MYSTERY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide. This makes lesson planning quick and easy! They also include printable worksheets and digital resources. These cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Missing Mitten Mystery, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you. We make it easy!
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below. This information will help you as you plan your next interactive read aloud lesson. It will save you tons of time!
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Missing Mitten Mystery reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- making connections
- figurative language
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- taking ownership
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- possessive nouns
THE MISSING MITTEN MYSTERY ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Missing Mitten Mystery?
- Lexile® Measure: AD500L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Steven Kellogg.
What genre is The Missing Mitten Mystery?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.