Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Grasshopper and the Ants will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of responsibility, this The Grasshopper and the Ants picture book by Jerry Pinkey is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with The Grasshopper and the Ants Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Grasshopper and the Ants. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Grasshopper and the Ants reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE GRASSHOPPER AND THE ANTS SUMMARY
Jerry Pinkey’s version of the fable The Grasshopper and the Ants is beautifully illustrated. It tells the story of a Grasshopper and a group of Ants. During the spring and summer, Grasshopper wants to relax and have fun. The Ants, however are busy working and Grasshopper doesn’t understand why they work so hard.
When fall comes, Grasshopper enjoys playing in the falling leaves while the Ants continue to work. Things change when the first snow falls. Grasshopper enjoys the snow at first, but soon grows cold and lonely. He goes to visit the Ants and looks in the window at them. When no one answers the door he starts to walk away. However, the Queen Ant then comes to the door to offer Grasshopper tea and invites him inside. The Grasshopper and Ants enjoy dancing and playing music together.
THE GRASSHOPPER AND THE ANTS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Grasshopper and the Ants, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Grasshopper and the Ants reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- asking and asnwering questions
- summarizing / retelling
- making inferences
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- irregular verbs
- multiple meaning words
- types of sentences
THE GRASSHOPPER AND THE ANTS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Grasshopper and the Ants?
- Lexile® Measure: 220L
- Guided Reading Level: F
- DRA Level: 10
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Jerry Pinkey. It was illustrated by Jerry Pinkey.
What genre is The Grasshopper and the Ants?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.