Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Biggest Pumpkin Ever will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With themes of perseverance, problem solving, and compromise, this The Biggest Pumpkin Ever picture book by Steven Kroll is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Biggest Pumpkin Ever Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Biggest Pumpkin Ever.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Biggest Pumpkin Ever reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE BIGGEST PUMPKIN EVER SUMMARY
There were once two mice who fell in love with the same pumpkin, not knowing about each other. One mouse took care of the pumpkin so he would win the Pumpkin Contest. The other mouse took care of the pumpkin so he could create the best jack-o-lantern ever.
Once they find out about each other, they make a deal to enter the contest, then have the pumpkin be used as a jack-o-lantern for the town. Working together, they make a great team and are able to come to a compromise!
THE BIGGEST PUMPKIN EVER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Biggest Pumpkin Ever, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Biggest Pumpkin Ever reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making connections
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- time words
THE BIGGEST PUMPKIN EVER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Biggest Pumpkin Ever?
- Lexile® Measure: AD570L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 20 – 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Steven Kroll. It was illustrated by Jeni Bassett.
What genre is The Biggest Pumpkin Ever?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.