Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Skeleton Meets the Mummy will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of compassion, conflict resolution and friendship, this Skeleton Meets the Mummy picture book by Steve Metzger is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Skeleton Meets the Mummy Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Skeleton Meets the Mummy. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Skeleton Meets the Mummy reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
SKELETON MEETS THE MUMMY SUMMARY
There is a chill in the air, and Sammy’s mom wants him to deliver some soup to his grandmother. Although he wants to play with his friend Derek, he takes the thermos and begins his way through the woods.
While in the woods, he hears a variety of sounds, sees scary animals, and feels like he is being followed. When he looks back, he sees a mummy behind him!
Sammy runs and runs, but when he is finally tired of being scared, he takes the cloth from the mummy and unravels him. Sammy realizes that it was just Derek! The two have a laugh and continue on to his grandmother’s house.
SKELETON MEETS THE MUMMY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Skeleton Meets the Mummy, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Skeleton Meets the Mummy reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing characters
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- conflict resolution
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
SKELETON MEETS THE MUMMY ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Skeleton Meets the Mummy?
- Lexile® Measure: AD400L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Steve Metzger. It was illustrated by Aaron Zenz.
What genre is Skeleton Meets the Mummy ?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.