Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Milo Imagines the World will love this post. It includes tons of helpful teaching ideas and information about the book.
With themes of managing stress and anxiety and making judgements, this Milo Imagines the World picture book by Matt de la Peña is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. After reading it, you’ll add it to your list of favorites too!
Engage Your Students with Milo Imagines the World Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Milo Imagines the World. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Milo Imagines the World reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MILO IMAGINES THE WORLD SUMMARY
The story Milo Imagines the World is about a boy named Milo who is traveling on a subway with his sister. Milo and his sister are both experiencing a lot of emotions. In order to manage his feelings, Milo begins to draw pictures of the lives he imagines the different people on the subway live.
Milo sees many different people like the whiskered man, a boy in a suit, a woman in a wedding dress, and break dancers. He imagines what each of their lives are like while they travel on the subway.
When Milo and his sister get to their destination, he sees people from the subway in line with them at the metal detectors. Milo realizes that you can’t judge people based off of their faces.
MILO IMAGINES THE WORLD LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Milo Imagines the World, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Milo Imagines the World reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- analyzing illustrations
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- managing stress and anxiety
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
MILO IMAGINES THE WORLD ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Milo Imagines the World?
- Lexile® Measure: 750
- Guided Reading Level: R
- DRA Level: 40
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Matt de la Peña. It was illustrated by Christian Robinson.
What genre is Milo Imagines the World?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.