Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Millie Fierce will love this post. It includes tons of helpful information and teaching ideas that will save you tons of time planning your next read aloud lesson.
With themes of making good choices and apologizing, this Millie Fierce picture book by Jane Manning is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Millie Fierce Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Millie Fierce.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Millie Fierce reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MILLIE FIERCE SUMMARY
Millie Fierce is about a girl named Millie who is tired of being invisible. When three girls from school walk over her flower chalk drawing and ruin it, Millie decides she is going to become fierce.
Millie does a lot of things while she is fierce that get people to notice her, but not in a good way. She bothers a lot of people and hurts a lot of people’s feelings. When Millie upsets her classmate Jackie Raymond, she realizes being fierce might not be the best way to get attention.
Millie apologizes to Jackie and realizes that making good choices is a better way to get people to notice you.
MILLIE FIERCE LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Millie Fierce, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Millie Fierce reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- author’s purpose
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- making good choices
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
MILLIE FIERCE ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Millie Fierce?
- Lexile® Measure: AD590L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Jane Manning.
What genre is Millie Fierce?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.