Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Michael Recycle will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With a teamwork theme, this Michael Recycle picture book by Ellie Bethel is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.
Engage Your Students with Michael Recycle Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Michael Recycle.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Michael Recycle reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MICHAEL RECYCLE SUMMARY
Ellie Bethel’s book, Michael Recycle, tells the story of a town called Abberdoo-Rimey. In this town, the garbage is left out and grows rotten and slimy. The town is smelly and the air is hazy. In fact, the water and sky looked brown!
One day, the townspeople were visited by Michael Recycle! He explained that they must start recycling before the piles of trash reach the moon and giant bugs take over the town. When Michael left, the townspeople got to work right away. They started recycling things like paper, plastic and cans. People even started reusing old items instead of throwing them away. Soon, the town was sparkling clean! The water and sky were blue again!
When Michael returned, he was happy to see the changes that took place! The townspeople were grateful Michael had come and helped them get started. This book is a great way to celebrate Earth Day and discuss the importance of taking care of the planet.
MICHAEL RECYCLE LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Michael Recycle, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Michael Recycle reading comprehension questions focus on:
Cause and effect
Comparing and contrasting
Identifying theme, message, and moral
Identifying rhyme, rhythm, and repetition
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
MICHAEL RECYCLE ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Michael Recycle?
- Lexile® Measure: AD640L
- Guided Reading Level: O – P
- DRA Level: 34 – 36
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.5 – 3.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Ellie Bethel. It was illustrated by Alexandra Colombo.
What genre is Michael Recycle?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 28 pages long.