Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Love Monster will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of emotions and individuality, this Love Monster picture book by Rachel Bright is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Love Monster Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Love Monster. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Love Monster reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
LOVE MONSTER SUMMARY
The story Love Monster by Rachel Bright is about a Monster who is very different than the world around him. Monster is a bit funny looking and lives in a world of cute, fluffy things that everyone loves. This makes life hard for Monster and he decides to solve his problem and set off to search for someone to love him.
Monster’s search becomes difficult as he can’t find anyone that looks like him. Right when Monster is about to give up, love finds him.
LOVE MONSTER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Love Monster, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Love Monster reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
LOVE MONSTER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Love Monster?
- Lexile® Measure: AD270L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 16-18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Rachel Bright.
What genre is Love Monster?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.