Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for How Santa Got His Job will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. All of this will help you plan your next interactive read aloud lesson.
With themes of compassion and perseverance, this How Santa Got His Job picture book by S.D. Schindler is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will become one of your favorite Christmas read alouds too!
Engage Your Students with How Santa Got His Job Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of How Santa Got His Job.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with How Santa Got His Job reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
HOW SANTA GOT HIS JOB SUMMARY
When Santa was a young man looking for a job, he never seemed to find the perfect fit. He started as a chimney sweep, but did not get dirty enough, followed by working at the post office but he hated traffic. Santa then tried working at a late-night diner, but he became too plump. He was a zookeeper, then in the circus, but nothing seemed quite right. That is, until he met the elves who introduced him to the toys in their workshop. Together with his past experiences, readers learn how Santa became the phenomenon he is today!
HOW SANTA GOT HIS JOB LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for How Santa Got His Job, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based How Santa Got His Job reading comprehension questions focus on:
- Analyzing characters
- Author’s Purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
HOW SANTA GOT HIS JOB ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for How Santa Got His Job?
- Lexile® Measure: AD570L
- Guided Reading Level: M-N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.0-3.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Stephen Krensky. It was illustrated by S.D. Schindler.
What genre is How Santa Got His Job?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.