Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Groundhog Weather School will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of problem solving and growth mindset, this Groundhog Weather School picture book by Joan Holub is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Check out these other Groundhog Day books too!
Engage Your Students with Groundhog Weather School Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Groundhog Weather School. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Groundhog Weather School reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
GROUNDHOG WEATHER SCHOOL SUMMARY
The book Groundhog Weather School by Joan Holub is an entertaining story full of facts about groundhogs and the weather. On Groundhog Day, the Weather Groundhog predicts that spring is here, but gets that prediction wrong. Rabbit writes him a letter asking him to have more help next year when he predicts the weather.
The Weather Groundhog starts Groundhog Weather School and teaches other groundhogs how to predict the weather. In this story, readers learn many interesting facts about groundhogs and weather predictions, in a fun and engaging way.
The groundhogs take their final exam and are ready to predict the weather. When Groundhog Day comes again, they predict that there will be six more weeks of winter, but their prediction is wrong again.
GROUNDHOG WEATHER SCHOOL LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Groundhog Weather School, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Groundhog Weather School reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
- growth mindset
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- proper nouns
GROUNDHOG WEATHER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Groundhog Weather School?
- Lexile® Measure: AD630L
- Guided Reading Level: O – P
- DRA Level: 34 – 36
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.5 – 3.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Joan Holub. It was illustrated by Kristin Sorra.
What genre is Groundhog Weather School?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.