The printable and digital gingerbread man activities included in this literacy unit are a great way to keep 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students engaged and learning during the month of December, which can be a tricky time of year in the classroom. The students often have “sugarplums dancing in their heads” and their excitement for the upcoming holidays generates a lot of energy. Grab these December teaching tips to help make this time of year a little easier!
Because the December holidays are a religious event for many, it is not uncommon for some families, or even an entire school district, to request that specific holidays not be mentioned in the classroom. The perfect solution for channeling all that energy in a positive and effective way without mentioning any one holiday is gingerbread!
Gingerbread is fun. It’s festive. It makes the kids excited and engaged. But, in no way is it officially tied into a specific holiday. Best of all, these gingerbread man activities will have your students working productively on important reading and writing skills.
The Problems this Gingerbread Man Printable Resource Solves:
The month of December is a tricky one in the classroom. The students’ excitement for the upcoming holidays creates lots of energy and it can make focusing on schoolwork a challenge. Because the December holidays are a religious event for many, it is not uncommon for some families, or even an entire school district, to request that specific holidays not be mentioned in the classroom. If you are allowed to celebrate holidays at your school, learn more about how you can incorporate the holidays around the world in your classroom.
How this Gingerbread Man Unit will Help Your Students:
This gingerbread man unit will help your students because it
- gives students the opportunity to practice going through the full writing process with support and guidance from the teacher.
- offers students a format to practice story telling.
- facilities fun learning experiences for students in the month of December.
- includes differentiated resources so all of your students will feel successful.
- gives students a break from the similar structured resources if your school district uses formal curriculum programs with fidelity.
How these Gingerbread Man Activities will Help You as a Teacher:
These gingerbread man activities will help you because they…
- channel all of that holiday energy in a positive and effective way.
- are fun and festive, but not tied to a specific holiday.
- invite students to work productively on important reading and writing skills.
Why You Will Love this Gingerbread Man Unit:
You will love this gingerbread man unit because it is…
- packed with resources so it will simplify your planning and prep.
- a great way to get your students excited and engaged while still learning.
- differentiated so all of your students will be able to access it.
How to Use this Reading and Writing Gingerbread Resource in Your Classroom:
First, start by gathering a collection of picture books that include a variety of different versions of The Gingerbread Man. After reading each version, invite your students to participate in a thoughtful dialogue and complete one of the many graphic organizers (story maps, Venn diagrams, etc.) offered in this resource. After having exposed students to many different versions of the text, students will go through the full writing process to create their own version of The Gingerbread Man.
Why Teachers Like You Love this Gingerbread Packet:
Check out these testimonials from teachers who’ve used it in their classrooms…
Incredible product! Your store will be one of my go-tos for all future unit supplements! Thanks for your time and talent!
– Sarah K.
My students loved these activities! This set provided a great outlet for their pre-Christmas excitement! Thanks!
– Gail Z.
I was so excited to find this unit! I have been teaching with fairy tales and trying to figure out when I can fit in Christmas. This is a perfect blend.
I moved to third grade this year and I LOVE all things Jodi!!!
– Rebecca Phillips
This was great. My students loved it!
– Diana L.
What is Included in this Gingerbread Man Unit?
- teaching guide that suggests how to implement the resources in your classroom and explains how to use each of the included resources
- tips for gathering resources to complement the unit so you can design a comprehensive and full learning experience for your students
- resource tracker templates to help you organize what resources you have access to relates to this unit
- recommended gingerbread book list to guide you in selecting quality and diverse gingerbread books
- scavenger hunt activity to increase student engagement and get students excited
- differentiated story map graphic organizers to support all of the learners in your class with learning about characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end
- comparing texts graphic organizer to guide students in comparing different gingerbread books to one another
- classroom anchor chart templates to save you time making an anchor chart
- Venn diagram graphic organizers to guide students in comparing and contrasting two gingerbread books
- “write your own version” writing activity that includes a brainstorming activity, story planner, drafting paper, final product paper templates, book cover, and rubric
These gingerbread man activities are a fun way to celebrate this festive time of year, while also working on important reading and writing skills. Learn more about this gingerbread unit and download it today!