Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Dragons Love Tacos will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of self-regulation and apologizing, this Dragons Love Tacos picture book by Adam Rubin is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Dragons Love Tacos Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Dragons Love Tacos. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Dragons Love Tacos reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
DRAGONS LOVE TACOS SUMMARY
In the book Dragons Love Tacos, a narrator teaches the reader about dragons’ favorite food, tacos. They also explain that if you’re going to feed dragons tacos, make sure there are no spicy toppings.
Dragons do not like spicy salsa. The little boy in the story loves dragons and decides to have a taco party for them. However, he doesn’t realize the mild salsa he bought actually has pieces of jalapeno peppers in it! Students will love reading about what happens when the dragons eat the spicy salsa and how they make amends afterwards.
DRAGONS LOVE TACOS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Dragons Love Tacos, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Dragons Love Tacos reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making predictions
- point of view
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- asking and answering questions
- cause and effect
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- self regulation
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- shades of meaning
- types of sentences
DRAGONS LOVE TACOS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Dragons Love Tacos?
- Lexile® Measure: AD520L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 24 – 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7 – 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Adam Rubin. It was illustrated by Daniel Salmieri.
What genre is Dragons Love Tacos?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.