Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Are You My Mother? will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of resiliency and compassion, this Are You My Mother? picture book by P.D. Eastman is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Are You My Mother? Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Are You My Mother?. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Are You My Mother? reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
ARE YOU MY MOTHER? SUMMARY
As Mother Bird sat on her egg, she felt a jump. It was almost time for Baby Bird to be born! She flew from the nest, knowing he would be hungry when he woke up.
Suddenly, Baby Bird hatched from his egg! Where was his mother? He searched and searched, asking kittens, dogs, hens, and cows with no luck. Finally, he came upon a big machine. When he realized that the machine was not his mother, he became upset. The machine carried him to his nest, where his mother quickly came. They were so happy to be back together!
ARE YOU MY MOTHER? LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Are You My Mother?, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Are You My Mother? reading comprehension questions focus on:
- Analyzing character
- Analyzing illustrations
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- Quotation marks
ARE YOU MY MOTHER? ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Are You My Mother?
- Lexile® Measure: 240L
- Guided Reading Level: G – H
- DRA Level: 13 – 14
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by P.D. Eastman.
What genre is Are You My Mother?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 72 pages long.