Teachers looking for A Loud Winter’s Nap activities and lesson plans will love this post.
With themes of friendship and growth mindset, this A Loud Winter’s Nap picture book by Katy Hudson is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will quickly become one of your favorite children’s books about winter!
Check out the A Loud Winter’s Nap activities and lesson plans below!
Engage Your Students with A Loud Winter’s Nap Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of A Loud Winter’s Nap.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this childrens’ book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with A Loud Winter’s Nap reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
A LOUD WINTER'S NAP SUMMARY
It was the time of year for those in the forest to hibernate. Tortoise was snuggling in for winter, when a pattern of friends continuously awakened him to play! He would always respond with a groan and a short response that tortoises do not like winter. From birds, to rabbits, to squirrels, it seems all but impossible for tortoise to change his ways.
As he snuggles in atop a hill, he accidentally went sledding down. As he giggles, he questions if winter is really that bad. His friends convince him to stay awake and enjoy the frosty fun of winter. Join tortoise and his animal friends to learn about the adventures to be had in the season of winter.
A LOUD WINTER’S NAP LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for A Loud Winter’s Nap, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based A Loud Winter’s Nap reading comprehension questions focus on:
- make predictions
- analyze character
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- growth mindset
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- past tense verbs
A LOUD WINTER’S NAP ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the A Loud Winter’s Nap reading levels?
- Lexile® Measure: 470L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Katy Hudson.
What genre is the book, A Loud Winter’s Nap ?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.