Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for This is Not My Hat will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of choices and impulse control, this This is Not My Hat picture book by Jon Klassen is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with This is Not My Hat Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of This is Not My Hat. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with This is Not My Hat reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THIS IS NOT MY HAT SUMMARY
The story This Is Not My Hat is about a little fish who really wants the hat that the sleeping big fish has. The little fish decides to take the hat while he’s sleeping and swims away so the big fish can’t find him. The big fish wakes up when his hat is gone and knows exactly who took it. The big fish follows the little fish into many plants and emerges with his hat back, and the little fish does not come back out of the plants.
THIS IS NOT MY HAT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for This is Not My Hat, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based This is Not My Hat reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- point of view
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- impulse control
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- compound words
THIS IS NOT MY HAT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for This is Not My Hat?
- Lexile® Measure: AD340L
- Guided Reading Level: H
- DRA Level: 14
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Jon Klassen. It was illustrated by Jon Klassen.
What genre is This is Not My Hat?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.