If you are an elementary teacher looking for Thelma the Unicorn activities and lesson plans, then you will love this post! It includes resource recommendations. These resources will help you bring your interactive read aloud to life! Additionally, it includes tons of helpful information for teachers like the book summary, genre, and reading level. All of this information will be helpful as you plan your next interactive read aloud lesson. They will save you lots of time!
With themes of individuality and advocation, this Thelma the Unicorn picture book by Aaron Blabey is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Thelma the Unicorn Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Thelma the Unicorn. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Thelma the Unicorn reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THELMA THE UNICORN SUMMARY
Thelma the Unicorn by Aaron Blabey is about a horse named Thelma who so badly wants to be a unicorn. She likes spending time on the farm with her friend Otis, but still dreams of being a unicorn. One day she sees a carrot and puts it on her head like a horn and a passing truck spills pink paint and glitter all over her. She looks like a unicorn and becomes famous.
At first, Thelma liked being famous. However, soon Thelma realizes that pretending to be a unicorn isn’t as good as it seems. People start chasing her everywhere and won’t leave her alone. Some even say mean things about her. She becomes very lonely and decides to go back home to Otis.
Thelma realizes that it is better to stay true to herself than pretend to be somebody else.
THELMA THE UNICORN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Thelma the Unicorn, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Thelma the Unicorn reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making predictions
- analyzing character
- plot | problem – solution
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- types of sentences
- action verbs
THELMA THE UNICORN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Thelma the Unicorn?
- Lexile® Measure: AD520L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 20 – 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Aaron Blabey.
What genre is Thelma the Unicorn?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 28 pages long.