Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Starkeeper will love this post. It includes tons of information about the book, resource recommendations, and teaching ideas.
With themes of kindness and compassion, this The Starkeeper picture book by Faith Pray is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Starkeeper Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Starkeeper.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Starkeeper reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE STARKEEPER SUMMARY
A little girl was surrounded by a lonely darkness. One day, she comes upon a star, and she wanted to keep it for herself. But, she knew the star needed her help to shine. As she kept it, the star grew smaller and wilted. It began leading her to places in need of kindness. From a homeless family to a mourning woman, we see the girl share a part of the star with her kindness. And when this happened, the star became brighter, bigger, and stronger. Eventually, the star joined other stars and chased away the lonely darkness that surrounded the village.
THE STARKEEPER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Starkeeper, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Starkeeper reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
THE STARKEEPER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Starkeeper?
- Lexile® Measure: AD480L
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Faith Pray.
What genre is The Starkeeper?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.