Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Smart Cookie will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have what you need for your next interactive read aloud lesson!
With themes of self esteem and perseverance, this The Smart Cookie picture book by Jory John is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with The Smart Cookie Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Smart Cookie.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Smart Cookie reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE SMART COOKIE SUMMARY
Cookie now flourishes in a beautiful bakery down by the river. However, she shares that this was not always the case. Cookie struggled to succeed in school. She was shy, not confident, and worrisome. That is- until she found her own talents! This creative, engaging story can connect with many students who are still trying to find their own talents.
THE SMART COOKIE LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Smart Cookie, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Smart Cookie reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- making connections
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- self esteem
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation marks
THE SMART COOKIE ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Smart Cookie?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Jory John. It was illustrated by Pete Oswald.
What genre is The Smart Cookie?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.