Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Seed of Compassion will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have what you need to plan your next interactive read aloud lesson!
This The Seed of Compassion picture book by His Holiness The Dalai Lama is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love this compassion-themed book too!
Engage Your Students with The Seed of Compassion Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Seed of Compassion.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Seed of Compassion reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE SEED OF COMPASSION SUMMARY
The Dalai Lama’s book, The Seed of Compassion, teaches readers the importance of showing compassion. The Dalai Lama narrates the book himself and starts off by telling readers about his childhood. He learned about compassion at an early age from his mother, who was always helping those in need. When the Dalai Lama was three, monks came looking to find the next Dalai Lama. To the family’s surprise, he passed the tests and they moved to the capital to start his training.
While he studied many different subjects during his formal training, the Dalai Lama always enjoyed studying compassion. He explains that it is a special capability humans have, that other living creatures do not. Throughout the book, the Dalai Lama explains that children can grow to be more compassionate and it helps make the world a better place.
THE SEED OF COMPASSION LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Seed of Compassion, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Seed of Compassion reading comprehension questions focus on:
- summarize / retell
- analyzing character
- point of view
- author’s purpose
- identifying theme | message | moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- plural nouns
- action verbs
THE SEED OF COMPASSION ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Seed of Compassion?
- Lexile® Measure: AD960L
- Guided Reading Level: W
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 6.7 – 7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by His Holiness The Dalai Lama. It was illustrated by Bao Luu.
What genre is The Seed of Compassion?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.