Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Rough Face Girl will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With themes of kindness and bullying, this The Rough Face Girl picture book by Rafe Martin is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your elementary students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with The Rough Face Girl Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Rough Face Girl.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Rough Face Girl reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE ROUGH FACE GIRL SUMMARY
This Native American fairytale is a take on the classic story, Cinderella. There was a man who had three daughters, two of which were mean and cruel. They made other daughter stoke the fire, and as she had scars all over, they called her The Rough-Faced Girl.
There was a great and powerful Invisible Being, and when a woman was able to see him, they would marry. The two elder, evil sisters claimed to have seen him, but when they were asked questions, they shamelly did not know the answers.
Then one day, the Rough-Faced Girl went to see the Invisible Being. She saw his bow and his sled, two of the tests to marry the man. They wed and lived happily ever after!
THE ROUGH FACE GIRL LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Rough Face Girl, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Rough Face Girl reading comprehension questions focus on:
- Analyzing Character
- Making Connections
- Identifying Genre
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- Suffix -ED
THE ROUGH FACE GIRL ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Rough Face Girl?
- Lexile® Measure: AD540L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9-3.0
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Rafe Martin. It was illustrated by David Shannon.
What genre is The Rough Face Girl?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.