Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Paperboy will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of feelings and responsibility, this The Paperboy picture book by Dav Pilkey is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with The Paperboy Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Paperboy. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Paperboy reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE PAPERBOY SUMMARY
The story The Paperboy follows a young paperboy and his dog as they wake up in the morning and go on their route. The boy and his dog wake up even when it is cold and hard to get out of bed. They eat breakfast together, pack the paperboy’s bag full of newspapers, and go out on their route. They both know the route by heart.
The boy thinks about big things and small things while he is on his route. He and his dog are the happiest when the world is asleep and they are the only ones awake. When all the papers have been delivered, the boy and his dog head home and go back to sleep.
Students will enjoy this story about a young paperboy and his dog.
THE PAPERBOY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Paperboy, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Paperboy reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- point of view
- making connections
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- compound words
THE PAPERBOY ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Paperboy?
- Lexile® Measure: AD530L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 30
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Dav Pilkey. It was illustrated by Dav Pilkey.
What genre is The Paperboy ?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.