Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Leaf Thief will love this post. Not only does it include resource recommendations, but also teaching ideas and information about the book.
With themes of friendship and adapting to change, this The Leaf Thief picture book by Alice Hemming is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Leaf Thief Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Leaf Thief.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Leaf Thief reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE LEAF THIEF SUMMARY
With a belly full of nuts, Squirrel sits in his tree, appreciating the beautiful colors of leaves around him. He quickly notices that there is a leaf missing! He flies to his trusted friend, Bird, and is quick to blame others for taking the leaves. Join Bird, Squirrel, and forest friends as they explore the transition to fall we see in nature.
THE LEAF THIEF LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Leaf Thief, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Leaf Thief reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- analyzing illustrations
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- adapting to change
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation marks
- word study
THE LEAF THIEF ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Leaf Thief?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Alice Hemming. It was illustrated by Nicola Slater.
What genre is The Leaf Thief?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.