If you are an elementary teacher looking for lesson plans and activities for The Golden Acorn, then you found the right place! It includes a book summary, teaching ideas, resource recommendations, and more!
With themes of teamwork, sportsmanship, and goal setting, this The Golden Acorn picture book by Katy Hudson is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Golden Acorn Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Golden Acorn.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Golden Acorn reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE GOLDEN ACORN SUMMARY
WHOOSH! There goes Squirrel, running fast through the treetops. She is training for the Golden Acorn Hunt, a prized race she has won before- eight times in fact. But, this year is different. This year, she must be part of a team to enter. She reluctantly joins the race with her animal friends, but when they slow her down, she takes off.
High above the branches, she finds the beloved Golden Acorn. Eventually, she realizes that it is lonely, and too heavy, to work without friends. She quickly goes and finds her companions and, although they did not win the race, they won in friendship. Join Squirrel and her animal friends on this adventure in teamwork and sportsmanship!
THE GOLDEN ACORN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Golden Acorn, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Golden Acorn reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- author’s purpose
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- goal setting
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- positional words
THE GOLDEN ACORN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Golden Acorn?
- Lexile® Measure: 590L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 24-28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7-2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Katy Hudson.
What genre is The Golden Acorn?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.