Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for The Boy with Big, Big Feelings will love this post. It includes teaching ideas, resource recommendations, a book summary, and more.
With themes of friendship, feelings, and empathy, this The Boy with Big, Big Feelings picture book by Britney Winn Lee is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with The Boy with Big, Big Feelings Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of The Boy with Big, Big Feelings.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with The Boy with Big, Big Feelings reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THE BOY WITH BIG, BIG FEELINGS SUMMARY
A little boy experiences feelings so deeply, that the feelings can come out of his fists and his eyes. When someone he loves is upset, he empathizes. When something does not go to plan, he clenches his fists and feels anger running through his arms. For him, his inner emotions burst out of his chest through colors and visuals.
But once school starts, he does not want to feel embarrassed. He keeps these feelings inside. That is, until one day on the playground, he sees a little girl who also experiences these feelings. They bond over their mutual emotions and learn that everyone feels happy, scared, afraid, and sad!
THE BOY WITH BIG, BIG FEELINGS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for The Boy with Big, Big Feelings, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based The Boy with Big, Big Feelings reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- author’s purpose
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- question marks
THE BOY WITH BIG, BIG FEELINGS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for The Boy with Big, Big Feelings?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Britney Winn Lee. It was illustrated by Jacob Souva.
What genre is The Boy with Big, Big Feelings?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.