Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’ will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of honesty and problem solving, this Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’ picture book by Eileen Spinelli is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Thanksgiving At The Tappletons’ Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Thanksgiving At The Tappletons’. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’ reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THANKSGIVING AT THE TAPPLETONS' SUMMARY
Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’ tells the story of the Tappleton family’s Thanksgiving. Each family member is in charge of getting part of the meal ready. However, everyone makes a mistake with their part of the meal. Mrs. Tappleton dropped the turkey, Mr. Tappleton couldn’t get pie, and Kenny fed the salad to his class pet. Each member of the family keeps their mistake a secret. When it is time to eat, everyone is surprised to find that there is no food! Everyone must admit to the mistakes they made. The Tappleton family must come together to make a meal out of food that is in the house. The children learn that Thanksgiving is not about the food but instead about being with family.
Students will enjoy this silly Thanksgiving read while learning the importance of family and honesty.
THANKSGIVING AT THE TAPPLETONS’ LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’ reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing setting
plot | problem-solution
- figurative language
- identifying theme, message, and moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- multiple meaning words
- types of sentences
- plural nouns
THANKSGIVING AT THE TAPPLETONS’ ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’?
- Lexile® Measure: 575
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Eileen Spinelli. It was illustrated by Maryann Cocca-Leffler.
What genre is Thanksgiving at the Tappletons’?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.