Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Thank You, Omu will love this post. It includes tons of helpful information for teachers, as well as time-saving resource recommendations.
With themes of sharing and gratitude, this Thank You, Omu picture book by Amy June Bates is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Thank You, Omu Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Thank You, Omu.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Thank You, Omu reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
THANK YOU, OMU SUMMARY
The story Thank You, Omu is about a woman named Omu who makes a big delicious pot of thick red stew to have for dinner and she thinks it will be the most delicious dinner she has ever had. The smell of her delicious stew is carried out of her window and down to the people below.
Many people smell the stew from out her window and go to tell her how delicious it smells. Omu offers the stews to people without them asking until there isn’t any stew left. Then Omu hears a knock at her door and all the people that Omu gave stew to have brought something for dinner for her. They have a big feast together and Omu says it is the best dinner she has ever had.
THANK YOU, OMU LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Thank You, Omu, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Thank You, Omu reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- common and proper nouns
THANK YOU, OMU ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Thank You, Omu?
- Lexile® Measure: AD370L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 16
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.1
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Amy June Bates.
What genre is Thank You, Omu?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.