Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Stick Man will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With themes of perseverance and feelings, this Stick Man picture book by Julia Donaldson is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Stick Man Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Stick Man.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Stick Man reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
STICK MAN SUMMARY
Stick Man lived in a tree with his wife and children. One day, he went for a jog, but quickly was taken by a dog! This humorous tale passes Stick Man along for different purposes, but he really just wants to get home to his family. Eventually, he is thrown in a fire, until he helps Santa down the chimney! Santa brings Stick Man back to his family and they have a wonderful holiday together.
STICK MAN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Stick Man, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Stick Man reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- figurative language
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- multiple meaning words
STICK MAN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Stick Man?
- Lexile® Measure: 510L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 24 – 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7 – 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Julia Donaldson. It was illustrated by Axel Scheffler.
What genre is Stick Man?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.