Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Star in the Jar will love this post. It includes tons of helpful information and resource recommendations that will make planning your next read aloud lesson quick and easy.
With themes of friendship and problem solving, this Star in the Jar picture book by Sam Hay is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. Your kids will love it!
Engage Your Students with Star in the Jar Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Star in the Jar.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Star in the Jar reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
STAR IN THE JAR SUMMARY
A little boy loved looking for treasure. He looked high and low, and one day came across an abandoned star. He asked his friends at school, but no one had lost a star. The little boy kept this shiny treasure until the sky sent a message. It was looking for the lost star! Join this brother and sister duo as they find ways to problem solve and get the star back with his family high in the sky.
STAR IN THE JAR LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Star in the Jar, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Star in the Jar reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
STAR IN THE JAR ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Star in the Jar?
- Lexile® Measure: 500L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 27
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.4
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Sam Hay. It was illustrated by Sarah Massini.
What genre is Star in the Jar?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.