Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Snowmen at Night will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of friendship, this Snowmen at Night picture book by Caralyn Buehner is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Snowmen at Night Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Snowmen at Night. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Snowmen at Night reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
SNOWMEN AT NIGHT SUMMARY
In this book, a young boy makes a snowman and realizes it looks different the next day. He starts to imagine all the things that snowmen do at night. Snowmen come alive at night and make their way to the park. They drink hot cocoa, go ice skating and play baseball. The boy imagines the snowmen having snowball fights and sledding down a hill. Once the sun starts to rise and the snowmen are tired, they make their way back to their home. This cute rhyming story explains why children’s snowmen might look different overtime.
SNOWMEN AT NIGHT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Snowmen at Night, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Snowmen at Night reading comprehension questions focus on:
- comparing and contrasting
- point of view
- identifying genre
- identify the main idea
- rhyme, rhythm and repetition
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- multiple meaning words
- compound words
SNOWMEN AT NIGHT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Snowmen at Night?
- Lexile® Measure: 890L
- Guided Reading Level: U-V
- DRA Level: 44
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 5.8-6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Caralyn Buehner. It was illustrated by Mark Buehner.
What genre is Snowmen at Night?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.