Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Rock What Ya Got will love this post. It includes tons of information about the book and resource recommendations to make planning your next read aloud quick and easy.
With themes of confidence, positive self-talk, and growth mindset, this Rock What Ya Got picture book by Samantha Berger is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a popular book in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Rock What Ya Got Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Rock What Ya Got.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Rock What Ya Got reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
ROCK WHAT YA GOT SUMMARY
One day, a drawing of a girl comes to life and celebrates the artist’s hard work. She boldly shares that she does not want to be erased, and provides self-loving mantras to the illustrator.
As the illustrator changes the hair, the body, and the background, the girl reminds the artist that she rocks and does not have to change anything.
Join the fierce girl in a story of confidence, kindness, and resilience that inspires anyone at any age!
ROCK WHAT YA GOT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Rock What Ya Got, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Rock What Ya Got reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- author’s purpose
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- growth mindset
- positive self-talk
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- speech bubble
- question marks
ROCK WHAT YA GOT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Rock What Ya Got?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Samantha Berger. It was illustrated by Kerascoët.
What genre is Rock What Ya Got?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.