Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Pig the Tourist will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of respect and impulse control, this Pig the Tourist picture book by Aaron Blabey is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Pig the Tourist Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Pig the Tourist. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Pig the Tourist reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
PIG THE TOURIST SUMMARY
Pig the Pug is at it again! He cannot travel anywhere, as disasters follow everywhere he goes! From carivals to historic places, Pig creates devastation. He is disrespectful and rude to the locals. He does not follow rules and expectations.
That is, until one day he goes swimming where he is not supposed to go. Ignoring the sign, Pig dives in and gets bitten by piranhas! That day, he learned an important lesson. Now, he does not ruin all holidays, but still does not travel well.
PIG THE TOURIST LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Pig the Tourist, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Pig the Tourist reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- authors purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- impulse control
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
PIG THE TOURIST ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Pig the Tourist?
- Lexile® Measure: AD620L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 16-18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.1-2.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Aaron Blabey. It was illustrated by Aaron Blabey.
What genre is Pig the Tourist ?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.