Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Owen will love this post. It includes helpful teaching ideas and resource recommendations.
With themes of growth mindset and compromising, this Owen picture book by Kevin Henkes is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It is sure to be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Owen Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Owen.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Owen reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
The story Owen is about a mouse named Owen who loves his blanket Fuzzy. He takes Fuzzy with him everywhere he goes and does everything with Fuzzy. Mrs. Tweezers next door points out that Owen is a little too old for Fuzzy. Owen’s parents try to take Fuzzy away from Owen by using different tricks. However, each time they try to take Fuzzy, Owen is able to save him.
Eventually Owen’s parents tell him that he can’t take Fuzzy to school. Owen cries and cries and his mother thinks of the perfect solution. She turns Fuzzy into handkerchiefs so he still has a part of Fuzzy with him.
OWEN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Owen, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Owen reading comprehension questions focus on:
- plot | problem-solution
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- growth mindset
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- common and proper nouns
- action verbs
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Owen?
- Lexile® Measure: 370L
- Guided Reading Level: K
- DRA Level: 16 – 18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.1
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes.
What genre is Owen?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 24 pages long.