If you’re looking for printable Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension activities for your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade students, you’ve found the right place! These resources are popular for teaching about Orange Shirt Day in the classroom. Learn more about this Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension resource below!
What is this Orange Shirt Day Reading Comprehension Resource?
This Orange Shirt Day Reading Comprehension Unit is all about Orange Shirt Day. It includes tons of printable resources like leveled reading comprehension passages, discussion questions, writing prompts, vocabulary cards and activities, assessments, worksheets, and much more. You’ll have what you need to teach a comprehensive unit or series of lessons on this non-fiction topic.
What Does This Orange Shirt Day Resource Include?
This Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension resource includes the following:
The teaching guide walks you through the different resources and suggests how to implement them in your classroom. You’ll have what you need to confidently implement the Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension worksheets and activities.
The vocabulary cards each have the vocabulary term, an image that represents the word, and a kid-friendly definition.
The vocabulary activities help students develop an understanding of each of the vocabulary terms and be able to confidently use them in conversation.
3 Leveled Reading Passages
The three Orange Shirt Day leveled reading comprehension passages help you differentiate and meet the needs of all your students, and help them feel confident in their reading abilities. Each Orange Shirt Day reading passage was carefully crafted to look similar and have the same key vocabulary, but be scaled to meet the needs of a typical class with varied reading abilities.
The discussion prompts promote reading comprehension and thoughtful class or small group discussions.
Discussion Prompt Cards
Laminate, cut out, hole-punch, and put the discussion cards on a ring so you can reuse them year after year.
Reading Comprehension Activity
This Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension worksheet is based on the text structure of the reading passages, which gives students valuable practice opportunities.
Writing Prompt and Thematic Writing Paper
The writing prompt and thematic writing paper support students in practicing their writing skills in this integrated unit.
2 Comprehension Check-Ins
There are two comprehension check-ins with answer keys. This allows you to grade them quickly and differentiate as needed.
Why Teachers Love Our Non-Fiction Reading Units
Listed below are some of the reasons elementary teachers love our non-fiction reading units.
- Our non-fiction units include an abundance of resources to choose from. This allows you to select which activities are best for your students.
- All of the activities are either low-prep (some quick cutting) or no prep (just print and go) which saves you tons of time while still offering engaging learning opportunities to your students.
- We’ve intentionally designed many of the resources to be open-ended and to include differentiated versions to make it easy for you to meet the needs of all your students. This also means that if you change grade levels in the future, you will likely still be able to use them with minimal modification.
- All of our non-fiction units follow the same format and include the same types of activities customized to each topic. This creates a cohesive, year-long routine where students know the expectations and are able to focus on the topic.
- All of our non-fiction units integrate reading, writing, and speaking standards with a timely and engaging topic, so students are fully engaged while practicing important skills.
Related Orange Shirt Day Picture Books
Check out the related Orange Shirt Day picture books below that pair well with the Orange Shirt Day comprehension worksheets and passages.
Other Orange Shirt Day Resources
Below are some other Orange Shirt Day teaching resources that you may be interested in.
In closing, we hope you found this post about these Orange Shirt Day reading comprehension passages, activities and worksheets helpful! If you did, then you may also be interested in these posts: