Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Memoirs Of A Hamster will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of friendship, this Memoirs Of A Hamster picture book by Devin Scillian is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Memoirs Of A Hamster Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Memoirs Of A Hamster. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Memoirs Of A Hamster reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MEMOIRS OF A HAMSTER SUMMARY
Seymour the hamster is very happy with life in his cage. He has everything he needs: his wheel for exercise, a water bottle for hydration, and food. Seymour never thought of leaving his cage until Pearl the cat told him about life outside the cage. She talked about the sunroom and how the stairs were made of sunflower seeds.
Seymour was curious and came up with a plan to leave his cage. However, once he escaped he realized Pearl was lying and instead wanted to catch Seymour! He escaped under the couch and had to wait for her to fall asleep before attempting to run back to his cage. As Seymour ran, the vacuum caused a commotion and Pearl was chasing him again. Thankfully, the little girl who takes care of Seymour came to his rescue. Seymour never wants to leave his cage again.
MEMOIRS OF A HAMSTER LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Memoirs Of A Hamster, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Memoirs Of A Hamster reading comprehension questions focus on:
- point of view
- summarizing and retelling
- comparing and contrasting
- analyzing character
- asking and answering questions
- identifying theme, message or moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- shades of meaning
MEMOIRS OF A HAMSTER ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Memoirs of a Hamster?
- Lexile® Measure: AD540L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9-3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Devin Scillian. It was illustrated by Tim Bowers.
What genre is Memoirs of a Hamster?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.