Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Maddi’s Fridge will love this post. It includes resource recommendations and tons of helpful information about the book.
With themes of gratitude and compassion, this Maddie’s Fridge picture book by Lois Brandt is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Maddi’s Fridge Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Maddi’s Fridge.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Maddi’s Fridge reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MADDI'S FRIDGE SUMMARY
Maddi and Sofia are great friends. They stayed at the playground as the shadows lengthened, swinging, sliding, and climbing on the rock wall.
One day, Sofia was hungry and ran up Maddi’s apartment stairs to open the refrigerator, but there was only a bottle of milk inside. Sofia made a promise to Maddi saying that she would not tell anyone that her family did not have enough money for groceries. Each night at her own house, she thought about how she was eating delicious, nutritious meals while her friend was having bread and milk.
This inspiring, heartwarming stories reminds students to feel grateful, compassionate, and to spread kindness to all we love.
MADDI’S FRIDGE LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Maddi’s Fridge, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Maddi’s Fridge reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- making connections
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- possessive nouns
- past tense verbs
MADDI’S FRIDGE ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Maddi’s Fridge?
- Lexile® Measure: AD520L
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20-24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Lois Brandt.
What genre is Maddi’s Fridge?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.